Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Teaching a Lefty to write

Well, I'm teaching SMALL FAN phonics and part of the requirement of the teaching is for SMALL FAN to learn to trace the letter using his hand. After observing him for a while and checking with my mums, sis and hubby, we think that SMALL FAN could be a lefty. Well, the dilemma came, should I teach him to trace the letter using his left hand or right hand?

As a modern mum, I would probably say, that I should let SMALL FAN lead and since he prefer his left, then teach him to write using his left hand. But, after ploughing through websites (check on my review section on some interesting websites for lefties) and teaching kids to write, I realised that teaching a lefty to write is different from teaching a right-handed person (like myself) to write, the orientation is all different. As a start, instead of asking him to put his writing book straight and write, for a lefty, he needs to tilt his book 45 degree so that he can see what he is writing. Also, for different letters, the stroke is different, for example, if we write "T", a right-handed person will write a straight horizontal line from left to write, follow by a straight vertical line from top to bottom, but for a lefty, he will feel more comfortable writing a horizontal straight line from right to left, follow by the straight line etc.

I also found out reading articles from the net, the many difficulties lefty face in school... Sigh... Teaching him to write the "right" way means that he will have a smoother journey in school, but it will not be second nature to him...I'm at a lost???? Maybe I should try teaching him to write in both hand and hopefully train both his left and right brain...ha ha..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Books & DVD to recommend